Monday, December 15, 2008

Twilight

Yes, I read it - after much pressure. Now I'm posting my thoughts here where I doubt those who recommended the book so highly will find them. To them I may present my opinions more tactfully:)

Overall, I think it's simply drivel, and not worth a long post here. There are thousands of good books to read that will provide more satisfying romance and suspense in a healthier atmosphere. However, there is one distinction I'd like to make.

Edward is widely esteemed, even adored by young women for possessing "unearthly self-control". He does, in one respect. He can control his desire for Bella's blood, but this should not be confused with his self-discipline where Bella herself is concerned. Their relationship is marked by a stereotypical impetuosity and ignorance that can only harm those involved. Ladies, before placing him on a par with Edward Ferrars, take a caveat from the character of his other namesake, Edward Rochester, noteworthy for his weaknesses.

No comments: