Wednesday, January 30, 2008

I've been tagged

1. Pick up the nearest book (of at least 123 pages).
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people.

"I know you too well to suppose you would allow such a thing to pass you."

"I burnt it, for fear that even a fragment should remain; for that letter must have effected your condemnation."

"And the destruction of your future prospects," replied Noirtier; "yes, I can easily comprehend that."

~ The Count of Monte Cristo, Alexander Dumas

Five people? besides the Chesterteens? Uh...

3 comments:

Hans Georg Lundahl said...

Count of Monte Cristo ... abridged or unabridged version?

A friend of my grandmother had an unabridged version in six volumes; so when we were over for a week, guess what I was reading?

Does your version include the making of a Chinese urn undersea by making an ordinary earthware or porcelain urn, lowering it under sea for a hundred years and taking it up when shellfish and corals had settled on it?

And a conversation between Edmond Dantes and the other prisoner in which strychnine or arsenic is put on the food of a rabbit that dies and is eaten by a fowl of prey that dies and that again is devoured by fish who before dying end up in someone's nets and then the very man's plate whom the first man wanted to poison ... without being caught?

In that case, it is the unabridged version.

gigi said...

it's 1462 pages long. The poision anecdote I am familiar with, the chinese urn I'm not. However I'm still only 2.2 cm through:)

Hans Georg Lundahl said...

the chinese urn might be later on - it is in a discussion that the count holds with other people in a salon (yes, he owns it)